Communication...past, present, & future

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Facebook



Facebook is a social-networking website. It is used to connect and interact with people. You can have as many friends as you'd like. You can message them, send them e-mails through facebook.

Not only can you send them messages, if you are logged on to facebook at the same time as your friends, you can send them something that is just like an instant message.

This website is a great way to keep in contact with others- I have caught up with all of my relatives that I hardly get to talk to otherwise. Its great, and I have no negative comments about it.

2 comments:

  1. Facebook is great, very addictive. You can communicate with people through IM if they are online the same time as you. You can reunite with old friends from high school or college. If you don't want people to find you then you shouldn't join. I know there are things you can do make certaion things private, but not all of it is that way. Everyone knows what you are doing or can read what others write on your wall. They can get information about you, such as job, phone number, address, etc. I am on facebook, but have not posted too much personal information. But I do have to say it is a fun way to communicate with friends when you don't have time to get together or call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have nothing against facebook as a way of contacting old friends or easily getting a message across to a group, but I am not a huge fan of social-networking. To me, it all seems too superficial. Profile pictures tend to be ridiculously staged (in pose, angle, lighting, etc), and women especially seems to too often try to display themselves in a way that I do not agree with. Facebook, to many, just seems like a way of almost micromanaging your social life from the comfort of your computer. It becomes a problem when people are on it all the time and practically live by it. Also, we have all heard stories of discriminating information or provocative pictures posted on myspace/facebook coming back to haunt people. I know I have read things/seen pictures people posted about themselves that I sure wouldn't want future employers seeing.

    ReplyDelete