Communication...past, present, & future

Monday, February 9, 2009

Morse Code- Is it still used today?



Morse Code has been around for over a hundred years and is the longest electronic encoding system around. It was developed for the telegraph and was originally used in early radio communication and also by military and commercial pilots.

My main question: "Is it still used today?"
I found my answer in this article.
http://home.clara.net/rod.beavon/morse.htm
Eventhough it is not the main form of communication used today, it is still required for air pilots to know and understand Morse Code.

I also found a translation for Morse Code.
http://www.onlineconversion.com/morse_code.htm


5 comments:

  1. When I was in high school, before the age of text messages, my friends and I communicated using morse code. We tapped our pencils on our desks spelling out abbreviations of words. Worked for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh about this post. I recently watched a movie the other day, "Untraceable". When one of the FBI agents got kidnapped, his torture was posted on the internet for all to see. He communicated with his fellow FBI agents to give them a clue for the case with Morse code through blinking. Now, I have no idea how the hell he did it or how the other people read and understood what he was saying, but it worked.

    Interesting article, I would never know how to use Morse code or even read it. However, I do believe that it is an excellent form of communication in certain scenerios.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interresting article. I didnt really know anything about morse code before I read it. Morse code used to be a very widely used communication system but not so much today. It is really good that piolts know about morse code just incase they ever need to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is still used today, by kids even. After our teacher gave us an assignment on morris code we learned it to cheat on tests. What sucked is that he used to be an air pilot and as your article suggests he knew what we were doing but we got extra credit on the first test for that though.

    it's interesting to know that we had morris code and now for computers binary code, which i think is a lot harder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This article was pretty interesting to me. Just the other day, I installed an App on my cell phone where you could input text and then it would reproduce it using Morse Code. It was pretty neat, but also rather pointless to have on a cell phone. I actually thought this technology went by the waste side years ago.

    ReplyDelete