Communication...past, present, & future

Monday, February 9, 2009

Past Tech - First Portable Phones

Today, it may be difficult for some people to imagine living life without their trusty cell phone. First Generation or 1G phones were primarily used to only make voice calls, which at the time was not only revolutionary, but also amazing to the average person. Ten years of research and $100 million dollars later, Motorola released the DynaTAC 8000X, which was the "world's first portable phone."


My father had a similar phone in the late 80's - early 90's which was carried in a case and was used mainly in the car, which seemed like a huge convienience at the time. I owned my first cell phone back in 2003, which was a prepaid Virgin mobile Nokia. It had no color screen, didn't feature a camera or have any of the bells and whistles found on today's latest models. Oh yeah, it also had a pull out antenna !

For the full article, check out the following link:

http://www.motorola.com/content.jsp?globalObjectId=7662-10813




5 comments:

  1. My sons have no clue what life is like when you do not have a cell phone. They are so use to being able to get ahold of mom whenever they need to that they would not know what to do if there was no way to communicate. My husband had a bag phone that he carried in his truck when he was working. It was so difficult to get ahold of him because he had to be in the truck to get the call. To solve that, we invested in the trusty pager

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw how much money was spent on the research of the cell phone I can't help but think that the money could have been spent on something else like medical research or medical benefits for US citizens but I have to admit it is a very important part of our lives today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldnt imagine having to carry around a cellphone that large. I do remember when phones werent as ellaborate as they are today. I remember getting my first cell phone with a color screen. It was nothing compared to the displays cell phones havee today. Cell phones are very convienient but like tom said in his coment its crazy how all that money went to a phone when it could have went towards something life changing like medical research

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I've actually never seen a phone that large in person, I have seen them on television and at the time, I thought nothing of it. Does anyone remember the show 'Saved By The Bell'? Zach Morris had a phone just like it that he would sometimes use, most notably in class.

    ReplyDelete