Communication...past, present, & future

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Newspapers- A Thing of the Past?

I found this article about the projected future of the newspaper. In our area we already know they are suffering because of all the lay-offs they have been doing at the Buck County Courier Times building. I do admit that I do not purchase a newspaper and I get all of my information from the news on TV and the Internet.

I see this as being a good thing because right now we are wasting so much paper and newspapers are only good for ONE DAY!

There is one good reason I like newspapers and that is saving good articles and newspapers from certain dates. I still have the newspaper from Sept. 11, 2001 and all of the ones that followed that day. I thought it would be neat to show my children one day especially because it was my 15th birthday.

Here is the article so you can read more about the new idea they have for newspapers and where they got the idea from! Also, there is a little Q&A with the author of the article and it has some pretty eye opening statements.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2005/10/11/DI2005101101387.html

6 comments:

  1. Unfortunately it's true about the newspapers. I personally still buy a paper everyday and read it at lunch, but more and more are not buying it and getting their information for free on line. There are many uses for newspapers, one that many of people don't even realize is you can use newspapers in your garden under the mulch. It prevents grass from growing and it cost far less then that black stuff you buy at Lowe's or home depot. I guess I'm from the older generation that likes to physically have the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hope newspapers don't die totally because i stil like to read them. i usually get the free version but it is always recycled when i'm done with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote in one of our recent discussion points that I did not think newspapers would ever be a thing of the past. Since then I have come to understand that just about every major newspaper in the country is in trouble. I think that with the acceptance of new technology coupled with competition from electronic media outlets on top of the green revolution, newspapers are in serious trouble and many could go away. For those who love the feel and smellof the morning paper, some will thrive and find a niche audience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. with the facts that WE need to be green and conserve, going paperless is an awsome thing . but i will miss reading the morning paper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The morning paper is something that is very important to me. What will i do now in the morning when its warm out. i usually sit on my porch, drink some coffee, read the paper and smoke a few cigarettes. If i can't do that, my mornings will never be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to agree that newspapers will no doubt be a thing of the past. Less and less people get there news from newspapers, while more connectivity to the internet and other news sources are becoming available. What I think will be the death of newspapers is the fact that they are using up paper & ink. Going green will eventually mean no newspapers.

    ReplyDelete