Communication...past, present, & future

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

String Phone





The string phone was a VITAL part of communication history! Without the string phone, I don't know how we would have achieved some of the things we have accomplished in human history. Ok, not really, but its kind of neat and it has some nice scientific background! The string phone shows how sound waves can carry through a medium (and how they carry through air as well). A few of these images show how people have taken the string phone and made it evolve through the years! The classic string phone is the two tin cans with a string attached. The one with the numbers, hearing devices, and other contraptions shows how we love to "trick out" or evolve our technology to suit our needs, scientifically, practically, and for looks! The one with the phone booth is just classy and made me laugh, how could I not post it?

10 comments:

  1. Ya man. I had a string phones when I was a child. It is cool that this technology has a direct link with the development of Communications devices today. The idea of passing info across lines is old and is being reinvented again by the fiber optics technology today. What a cool view though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess all you can really say about the string phone is that it is almost a part of American culture. I made one once - it didn't really work but I think I got the idea from an old Dennis the Menace re-run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember trying to make one of these things as a kid and it never worked! I'm amazed that they actually do have some relevance in technology. With the cell phones they have these days, kids probably have no idea these things ever existed, even to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too remember as a kid poking holes in cups and making a string phone!! That's too funny. I couldn't get one to work either. Now look how far we have come! We put so much into a little phone!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im not sure if this would even count as a workable technology. Did it even work or was it just a silly childhood stunt and myth that we all believed and tryed at least once. You know i had my syrophoam phone too!! That was my first phone, it was 9 years old. haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didnt know the string phone had any actual technological significance. I thought that the string phone was just a childhood toy to play with. Imagine if we still used string phones instead of pay phones, hah that would be a site.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember seeing these one tv but never thought that they would actually work. I believe it was in one of the Home Alone movies. I too find the one in the payphone cube amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of hte most interesting child contraptions around. The way sound and acoustics work are also interesting, there are so many ways to play with it. There is a room in the capital building where congress used to meet where you can clearly hear someone whispering at a certain spot on the other side of the room.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The famous string phone. I have never had the pleasure of creating or using one, but this post really makes me want to make or try one atleast. I don't really understand the one picture with the numbers on the tin can. Maybe he was using it to make a long distance call haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow... The String phone. I remember making this in grade school Science class. I had no clue that something so perfectly awesome could evolve as far as a pay string phone. That’s really Great news!

    ReplyDelete